Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Why I am jumping on the SBG train.

I can't take it anymore. I have always been annoyed with my grading system. This is the 14th year I have taught and my 20th iteration of a grading scheme. I can never get the grade to show what I really want to show. There is always someone who doesn't quite fit the mold. There is always someone who slips through the cracks of my system. That one kid who does nothing but still manages to get an 'A' in the class. Or that one kid who just works his butt off but barely manages to get a 'C'. I can't stand seeing my students bummed about how they did on the test when it was only 1 or 2 ideas that they struggled with. That breeds negativity about my class. It causes them to give up. I love the idea of giving students who make an honest effort as many chances as possible to succeed. I need to do this! Starting today. I will revamp this break and come out better for it. Now. How do I tell the kids?

3 comments:

  1. Welcome abord! I would be happy to share some of the standards that some former colleagues and I have developed. Also, you should definitely check out activegrade to keep track of all your scores. It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John. I will definitely welcome the help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John, I just checked out that link. Seems like the program isn't ready yet. I am using Easygrade Pro right now. It does some sort of standards based grading thing, but it doesn't seem very adjustable on how to score things. Especially for the end of quarter. Would an excel spreadsheet be better? What program do you use?

    ReplyDelete