Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

What to do?

So here I am on the eve before I report back to work. Tomorrow is normally the day I begin copying all the items for the first day with kids. On those sheets is the grading policy.

Yeah. I've been thinking about this since the beginning of July and still have not come up with anything. Obviously with modeling class discussion is a big part of it. How should I grade that? I know myself. I am not a good record keeper. I can't make a tally mark every time someone speaks. So what should constitute an 'A'? Because of this I am hesitant to make participation a huge grade but it should definitely be included.

Add that to the normal war I have waged with myself for the last 13 years of points vs. percentages for grades and it will undoubtedly be a late evening.

1 comment:

  1. I struggled with this also. In the end I decided not to make participation a grade. My plan is to go more with the Don approach, so I'll be forcing (or at least compelling) participation. If I get any students who are adamantly opposed to participating then I'll just have to have a good talk with the parents.

    ReplyDelete